Excellence



This is not a very linear entry, so get ready. I have a lot of things to say, and not much time to say them.

I have been watching the British Open. Greg Norman had a shot at winning it.
But a couple of bogeys knocked him out of the running.
The last time he won a major was over ten years ago.
It would have been miraculous. But it was not meant to be.
Sometimes I pen my hopes on a donkey.
I get excited that the cinderella team wins the NCAA tournament, or I get excited that Greg Norman will win the British Open.
But most of the time my bridges are burnt down and I am disappointed.

As I was sitting eating and watching, my three year old girl popped up after an hour of play in her room. I had forgotten about her. And then there she was.
She seemed almost "unreal" to me. Have you ever had that feeling with one of your little children?
It is a wild feeling. Children bring HOPE in my opinion.
Children bring a fresh perspective.
Children bring LIFE into the routine. They are like God, always a surprise.
Josie is walking around and dancing and giving her friends presents.
Her joy and energy are envious. Where did that come from?

Today I went to lead music at Church of the REZ in the corn fields of Western North Carolina. It was great. There were 40 people. It was a delight to be in such an intimate setting for worship.
"How Great is Our God" was the central song. We played it twice. I had to teach it the first time, but after the first time I could hear their voices lunging out to their Lord.
This was the first time I have led an adult worship service.
I have led many youth events, but no adult services of worship.
It was enjoyable and it was very challanging.
It is hard to keep people on the same key, the same time signature, and the same tone.

Lastly, I am just finishing up a book by a friend,
My year inside Radical Islam--A Memoir.

It is by my friend, Daveed Gartenstein-Ross.
It has opened my eyes.
It also opened my eyes to how God works in unconventional ways.

I recommend it highly. It is written by a man of excellence. Daveed is the national debate champion from around 1996 or 1997. He went to Wake Forest University with me and honestly conveys his spiritual pilgrimage with the readers of the book.

Comments

Popular Posts