Chuck Longino



At the death of my good friend, mentor, spiritual advisor, genuinie soul, and teacher extraordinaire, I am heart broken. At the thought of his soul leaving this place I am heart broken. At the drop of another penny I am crushed by loosing him. How do you want to recieve hard news? How do you want it to go? I recieved the hard news in the form of an electronic email from my dad. My dad worked with Chuck for many years at Wake Forest. Chuck was the one professor at Wake Forest to take me seriously. He took me so seriously that he paid my way to present a paper at the National Meeting of Gerontologists in Birmingham, Alabama. He took me so seriously. I remember all of the meals I had with he and his wife Loyce. I pray for her right now. I am sad for her. But Chuck. Where are you dear Chuck? My man, Chuck. He was recognized as possibly the leading expert on the patterns of elder care in America. He was rock solid. I remember the recommendation he wrote for me when I was applying to be a 5th grade teacher in Texas after my graduation. I will always remember Chuck. I will always remember his house. His house was devoted to a life of joy. He and his wife had build a sperate room for meditation. They were both healers. Chuck was a healer. And his time is now over.

Oh death, where is thy sting? I almost feel dirty placing these words on a computer screen. Am I perpatuating the virtual world that denies the horrors of death. I hate death.

And to think, just this past Christmas, the day of his death, I was but several miles from his last breath. Forgive me Lord! Oh dear Lord, help us, for we know not what we do.

In my dads email to me he said these words, haunting from a man of few words
"VERY SAD NEWS: Chuck Longino died on Christmas day. I had no idea he was not healthy. I had seen him once or twice and had always wanted to ask him to eat lunch.
Good intentions need to be acted on.
LOVE
Daddy."

I am torn in two.
Death is a sting. Death is final. Death is horrible. Death is the end of the beginning. The next step, the real beginning, is in the Lord. Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy.

Amen

Comments

Popular Posts