None-the 9th hour

St. Cyprian was born around the beginning of the 3rd century in North Africa, perhaps at Carthage, where he received an excellent classical education. After converting to Christianity, he became a bishop (249) and eventually died a martyr at Carthage.

saint cyprian

Cyprian sees in the hours of prayer, Terce, Sext and None, which come after a lapse of three hours, an allusion to the Trinity. He adds that these hours already consecrated to prayer under the Old Dispensation have been sanctified in the New Testament by great mysteries—Terce by the descent of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles; Sext by the prayers of St. Peter, the reception of the Gentiles into the Church, or yet again by the crucifixion of Christ; None by the death of Christ.[20] St. Basil merely recalls that it was at the ninth hour that the Apostles Peter and John were wont to go to the Temple to pray.[21] St. John Cassian, who adopts the Cyprian interpretation for Terce and Sext, sees in the Hour of None the descent of Christ into hell.[22] But, as a rule, it is the death of Christ that is commemorated at the Hour of None.

  • NONE

mepkin monks

Oh God, come to my assistance!

Oh Lord, make hast to help me. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end, Amen.

God, Be Merciful to Me
(Psalm 51)

1. God, be merciful to me;
On Thy grace I rest my plea
Plenteous in compassion Thou,
Blot out my transgressions now;
Wash me, make me pure within;
Cleanse, O cleanse me from my sin.

2. My transgressions I confess;
Grief and guilt my soul oppress.
I have sinned against Thy grace,
And provoked Thee to Thy face.
I confess Thy judgement just;
Speechless, I Thy mercy trust.

3. I am evil, born in sin;
Thou desirest truth within.
Thou alone my Savior art,
Teach Thy wisdom to my heart;
Make me pure, Thy grace bestow,
Wash me whiter than the snow.

4. Broken, humbled to the dust
By Thy wrath and judgment just,
Let my contrite heart rejoice,
And in gladness hear Thy voice;
From my sins O hide Thy face,
Blot them out in boundless grace.

5. Gracious God, my heart renew,
Make my spirit right and true.
Cast me not away from Thee,
Let Thy Spirit dwell in me;
Thy salvation's joy impart,
Steadfast make my willing heart.

6. Sinners then shall learn from me,
And return, O God, to Thee
Savior all my guilt remove,
And my tongue shall sing Thy love
Touch my silent lips, O Lord,
And my mouth shall praise accord

cows

Psalm 126

Restore Our Fortunes, O LORD
A Song of(A) Ascents.
1When the LORD(B) restored the fortunes of Zion,
   we were like those who(C) dream.
2Then our(D) mouth was filled with laughter,
   and our tongue with shouts of joy;
then they said among the nations,
(E) "The LORD has done great things for them."
3The LORD has done great things for us;
   we are glad.

4Restore our fortunes, O LORD,
   like streams in the Negeb!
5(F) Those who sow in tears
   shall reap with shouts of joy!
6He who goes out weeping,
   bearing the seed for sowing,
shall come home with shouts of joy,
   bringing his sheaves with him.

Psalm 127

Psalm 127 Praise of God's goodness: A pilgrimage son

1Unless the LORD builds the house,
   those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the LORD(B) watches over the city,
   the watchman stays awake in vain.
2It is in vain that you rise up early
   and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious(C) toil;
   for he gives to his(D) beloved(E) sleep.

3Behold,(F) children are a heritage from the LORD,
(G) the fruit of the womb a reward.
4Like arrows in the hand of(H) a warrior
   are the children[a] of one’s youth.
5Blessed is the man
   who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
   when he speaks with his enemies(I) in the gate.[b]

Yes

Psalm 128  The blessings of home: a pilgrimage song

1(B) Blessed is everyone who fears the LORD,
   who(C) walks in his ways!
2You(D) shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands;
   you shall be blessed, and it shall be well with you.

3Your wife will be like(E) a fruitful vine
   within your house;
your children will be like(F) olive shoots
   around your table.
4Behold, thus shall the man be blessed
   who fears the LORD.

5(G) The LORD bless you(H) from Zion!
   May you see(I) the prosperity of Jerusalem
   all the days of your life!
6May you see your(J) children’s children!
(K) Peace be upon Israel!

 

Short Reading ( 1 Corinthians 6:20)

We were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body.

heraldic cross

Cleanse me from my unknown faults, O Lord

And restrain me your servant from sin.

Prayer: Lord God, grant that through our work we may provide for the needs of this life, while never losing sight of what is of true value, those things which alone remain forever and ever.

Conclusion:

Let us bless the Lord

Thanks be to God

Comments

Popular Posts